Tuesday, September 25, 2012

No Brakin' Akin

Akin update

After all the uproar over Representative Todd Akin's astonishingly obtuse and insensitive comments about "legitimate rape," pregnancy, and basic science, I wondered, half-rhetorically, what else there was to say—and finally came up with a historical angle.

Now, just when I thought there was nothing more to add, Mrs. Akin has intervened, somehow managing to plumb new moral depths by portraying her husband as a rape victim, and in the process mangling American history.

The Washington Post reports:
Lulli Akin, the U.S. Senate candidate’s wife, has compared his abandonment by party bosses to rape.
In an interview with “The National Journal,” she first described the move to get her husband to step down from the Senate race in Missouri as “tyranny, a top-down approach.”
She went on to say, “Party bosses dictating who is allowed to advance through the party and make all the decisions – it’s just like 1776 in that way.”
That was when colonists “rose up and said, ‘Not in my home, you don’t come and rape my daughters and my … wife. But that is where we are again.”
This time, I am literally at a loss for words.

No comments: