Why do they hate us? (douchebags, turds, socialists, Muslims, libtards, Democrats)
Here the question is, rather: How do they hate us?
Let me count the ways.
Along with those who simply disagreed with the Town's policy were those who expressed more hostile feelings. Many emphasized the strength of these emotions by threatening to boycott the town. (How many of them actually have shopped here as they claim is anyone's guess. I want to see receipts.) Many called us names. Some suspected we were trying to establish Sharia (or the Gulag). Some wanted us to move somewhere else (whether expressed as a general desire, or with reference to specific destinations, from just south of the border to the infernal regions). Some wished us bodily harm.
When I arrived at Monday's Select Board meeting, I saw uniformed police officers outside the Town Room and thought I had perhaps missed an earlier ceremony or failed to notice a public-safety topic on the agenda. As I later found out, the police were there for our protection: it was September 10, and we were to hear more public comment on the flag controversy. We never felt unsafe, but that gives you a sense of how high the tensions had risen.
The following is a little selection of the angry talkbacks and emails directed at us.
Impeach, hang, or exile the Prius-driving, weed-smoking hippie terrorist sympathizers
From responses to Conor Berry's piece in the Springfield Republican:
• Maybe the officials of this town secretly believe that the attacks were false and actually government created...as I have heard from some people who also feel the government is poisoning us secretly and moving towards a new world order
• Only figures from a town named after a genocidal maniac Amherst who by the way infected local Indians with small pox to steal their land , keep up the good work.....
•I've stopped doing any business with anybody connected to or in Amherst . . . . it's just a typical college town full of people full of themselves. I love all those Prius, Audi, BMW, Mercedes and Lexus owners trying to portray themselves as Americans.
• Maybe Northampton [sic] is taking it's cues from the DNC. The convention is starting with 2 hours of muslim prayers... Our country is going to hell.
• There is a perversion that patriotism, religious beliefs, marriage between a man and a women, and respect for life at conception is some how out of date and unpopular. Maybe in places like the people's republic of Amherst Massachusetts they are. Please Amherst, secede from the United States of America.
• Sounds like the town officials are oblivious to the pain of the country. May they should go live in Mexico.
• Speaking for my ancestors who fought for our country dating back to the Revolution, I am appalled that a minority of self serving small town politicians would be allowed to dictate to the masses when our US flag can fly on the town common. Impeach 'em!!
• Amherst is one of the most disgusting and unpatriotic cities in the U.S. How can a city not allow to fly the flag of its own country???? I just don't get it. The city councilors who banned the flag display should all be put on trial for treason. And then hanged in the city square in place of the flag display.
• Remember all those hippies from the 60s who were smoking weed, dropping acid, and denouncing everything that had to do with the government? Well guess what? Those same hippies got old and are now in positions of authority.
• HEY TERRORIST, please target Amherst, I'll supply you with a map.
Amherst: it's just un-American; Hell, it's not even in America
From the Daily Hampshire Gazette:
• This is the SAME community that said, pre 9-11, that the red in the American flag stood for "all of the blood of the innocent victims of American terrorism all over the world."
Can we really expect anything different from them?
• Thank God I don't live in Amherst.... It is questionable if it is part of the USA
Love it or leave it, you limp-wristed, spineless, namby-pamby, anti-American jackwagons, gay, Muslim-loving supporters of fluoridation and taxation
From responses to Diane Lederman's piece in the Springfield Republican:
• Why would some one want to live in a country that offends them? I'm not suggesting we run them out of town. But, these people who find our flag "offensive" should ponder as to why they want to be here, and whether or not they would be happier elsewhere.
• I am so sick of the spineless people in this country and our government who kowtow to every whiner who shows up with a gripe..We are Americans and our Flag is a emblem of freedom and pride--don't like that? Then go some where you do like
• GOOD GRIEF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN AMERICA. IF SOMEBODY FINDS THE FLAG OPPRESSIVE THEN GET THE HECK OUT OF DODGE. THERE ARE SO MANY STUPID PEOPLE WHO DON'T DESERVE TO LIVE IN THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY AND LORD HELP US THEY ARE ELECTED OFFICIALS. MAROULIS [Chamber of Commerce Director, who actually wrote in favor of flying the flags but happened to refer to opposing views] YOU ARE A PUTZ AND DO NOT DESERVE TO CALL YOURSELF AN AMERICAN.
• I suggest any person or community in America that finds the AMERICAN FLAG polarizing and a brazen symbol of might and oppression to pick up, pack up, and head to a country with a flag they find less polarizing and a brazen symbol of might and oppression. Any communist country should do.
To think hundreds of thousands of patriotic Americans died so that limp-wristed, namby-pamby, anti-American jackwagons could occupy space and vote in this, the best country ever to have been founded. Disgusting!
• It never fails to amaze me how stupid, ignorant or naive some people can be. You don't want fly old glory, our country's flag because you are embarrassed by it. Or is it because it might offend some Islamic residents of what 9/11 really means to real Americans. 3000 innocent Americans were murdered by Islamic radicals and you are afraid to respect their loss to our country by displaying the American flag. If you cannot respect what the American flag represents, you should move to a country that agrees with your perspective. Some suggestions: North Korea, Iran, Venezuela, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, China, Russia as well as half the United Nations who laugh at us and disrespects what America has contributed to the world.
• This in the all "inclusive" town where the flag of Puerto Rico was was torn down because it was mistaken for the state flag of Texas, home of a republican president. I guess that means you can be included, welcome, and vital to the community as long as you agree with the view of the few. Well at least Amherst will be spared Armageddon, as it was voted a nuclear free zone. No mushroom shaped clouds, or American flags allowed. The sign at the town line should read, "Welcome to Laughingstockville"
•Every city official who voted for this idiocy should be hit with a petition demanding they resign immediately. Vote every single one of them out of office at the earliest opportunity and replace them with true patriots.
From WWLP Channel 22:
• Do you even consider yourselves Americans? Please drive your stereotypical green Subaru Legacy hippie wagons off a cliff while you listen to NPR on full blast.
• Bet they still fly the Muslim flag on Ramadan
• No problem flying the gay pride fag...er...flag on any day of the year though
• what a dumb thing to do. There is a small country in northern south america that wood love to have people like you. So move and let the flag fly.I served my country and flag, many have given their lives for it. I will never visit this town and hope others join me.
• The selectman should be removed from their positions for trying to dictate when and where the American Flag can be flown.
• can we just ban amherst from the states already
• What an abomination.....Amherst is a perfect example of everything wrong with our Nation. Insane property taxes (to pay for all the welfare), a police state, fluoride in the water and hippiecrities running around destroying the Flag that represents our Republic. Shame on you town of Amherst
• Amherst . . . you all should be ashamed to call yourselves Americans!! This is why our Country is falling apart. Disrespectful, ignorant, naive people. They don’t fly our Flag but they do have aPot Fest every year that forces the Police to let people smoke Pot and do nothing about it.
Something is wrong here.
• Yup and they are always the first in line for welfare and food stamps with the amount of people that qualify there. Figures they had [hate??] the government except when they want that free hand out
• Only in the Socialist Republic of Amherst.
• What a bunch of pretentious d-bags.
• What a bunch of self righteous t*rds.
• Go to H3ll, Amherst.
Dear Assholes: You and your communist, Muslim-loving cesspool of liberals make us sick, you ingrateful spawn of elitist hypocrites
Oddly, perhaps, some of the nastiest comments came not in anonymous newspaper talkbacks, but in direct, signed letters to the Select Board. We certainly cannot complain about reticence:
• I am dismayed by the report that your town does not see fit to honor the singly significant event and heroes of that infamous day when we were viciously attacked by radical muslims. I believe that the 'politically correct' Massachusetts beliefs have brought a disservice to all involved.
• Any Board Member who votes not to raise the American flag in memory of 911 should be sent to Siberia. You people are like that idiot professor. Why do you liberal democrats have to appease a few? Doesn't the majority rule?
You idiots should be ashamed. I will make it a point to circumnavigate your cesspool of liberals the next time I need to pass through.
• Ever wonder why a lot of our kids show little to no respect for the flag,well, you sure show them the way.Bet you’d be happy to fly a Muslim flag everyday.Thanks for ruining our country.
• ARE YOU GOING TO LET A COMMUNIST COLLEGE PROFESSOR RUN YOUR TOWN?????----MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR US AMERICANS-NOT THE COMMUNISTS---HISTORY LESSON COMMUNISM HAS BEEN TRIED AND FAILED (SOVIET UNION).
• It is a blatant and outright disrespectful statement to this country and the men and women who have served in the past and continue to serve presently. They are the ones that will protect your pathetic, spineless self when the rubber hits the road since all you have done is welcome terrorists and illegals into my country. I am personally deeply offended and will not support your personal agendas.... I am ashamed of each of you, the select board as a whole and the town that you are supposed to be assisting in managing; representing the town as a whole and making decisions in the best interest of the community is a sham. I am disappointed that you all fail to do the right thing, time and time again. You sicken me.
• I read your explanation on your ideas of displaying the American flags every five years to commemorate 9-11. As usual it's a ridiculous left wing argument....
I think for the most part the people of Massachusetts are very unfriendly and cynical. We visited there once and couldn't wait to leave, just the traffic showed us what nasty people were behind the wheels of the cars racing around cutting each other off.
I will be forwarding this to help get the word out that picturesque little Amherst is just another socialist city like Berkeley, Ca.
• APPARENTLY THERE ARE ENOUGH COMMUNISTS WHO SIT ON YOUR COUNCIL WHO FEEL THAT THE AMERICAN FLAG IS A SYMBOL OF OPPRESSION.... IF YOUR SITTING COUNCIL MEMBERS ARE OFFENDED BY THE SIGHT OF THE AMERICAN FLAG THAN MAYBE THEY SHOULD PACK UP THEIR SHIT AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF THIS COUNTRY. LET THEM GO LIVE IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY SO THEY CAN LEARN FIRST HAND WHAT OPPRESSION REALLY IS.
I would like to fly the American flag everyday at my home. Will I be arrested and fined? Is this true?
• You are a disgrace to your office. Your entire board is a disgrace to the blood that has been spilled by those who have defended this country. Of course we should not be surprised as it is once again Massachusetts and the crazy loons on the left that are the disgrace of the nation.
• your town is a DISGRACE to this country. If your little ''Mayberry'' is that ashamed to fly the American Flag on 9/11, a symbol of hope and courage to millions of people around the world, then I strongly suggest you get the hell out of MY country. Leave it to a handful of hillbillies in the bowels of the northeast to make waves by your disrespectful actions.
• What country are you clowns from?.....,,You are appearing as clowns, trying to be politically correct. I’m not sure you are true Americans, especially in a state founded as one of the original colonies, you should have a clearer understanding of the symbols of this country and their meaning. Shame…
• If you don't fly the American flag every September the 11th it proves you are communists, bent on the destruction of the remembrance of that horrible day and wanting to undermine the destruction of America.As we keep telling ourselves: 82 cents a day. That's what we earn. At times like this, we feel overtaxed as well as underpaid.
To even think of not flying the flag on September 11 of each year shows each of you are a communist.
You need to be proud of America, the greatest nation on earth and drop your communist principles.
We live in a republic form of democracy (just in case you were not taught that in school) and not in a commy country!
• Dear Assholes of Amherst, MA:
So you think the American flag is a "sign of oppression." Having lived through 9-11 in NYC -- I lived in Manhattan, I think there is nothing quite like a hijacked boeing burning in the worlds tallest office building with innocent people dying for not being deemed worthy to live and in that to be murdered any less painfully, since they were not Muslim.... Further, you may find that my US dollars to be derived from the oppressive American government. So I will keep mine, and you commie bastards can go fuck yourselves. I will further encourage all I know and meet to also boycott your little wonderland of derision, utter disrespect and to reject you, your town and ingrateful spawn of you elitist hypocrites.
Two seats open in the spring. Anyone want to run?